BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 28, 2009

Praise?

I was looking through some quotes of C.S. Lewis, and I stumbled on this one from his reflections on the Psalms "I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." One thing I've noticed lately has been how many people "praise God" yet do with no enjoyment. They do it like it's rote memorization. That's the thing I dislike so much about modern churches....it's very difficult to find a church that doesn't use the rote method.

The thing that I love about Psalms is that David truly is a man after God's heart. He clearly enjoys God with everything. Even when he's upset, or angry about a decision, he still respects God and loves Him. So many people disregard the Psalms because it can be "full of fluff," yet I would argue that it's one of the best books in the Bible. If you truly read it, it's fascinating to see this one man's love for his Savior and his enjoyment in being given so many days and opportunities to worship Him. I can only pray that I am given the same opportunities to praise my Savior.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

"Full of fluff"??? Who could say that! I would dare say that the Psalms reveal more of God's character than any other book.

Good post!

Allie said...

You would be surprised! I've known pastors who thought the only thing it was good for was hymns...which I find incredibly sad!